What is TOG and its Rating?
TOG is the abbreviation of “Thermal Overall Grade”. TOG is a measuring unit of thermal resistance of unit area. It is using in textile industries and baby textile industries. It is a European warmth rating and has nothing to do with weight. The higher the TOG rating, the warmer the product will be. But higher TOG doesn’t mean that the garment will be thicker.
Now the TOG value can be higher and lower it’s all depends upon the room temperature and baby’s comfort.
The table below will provide you the guidelines, which will help you to choose the baby garments.
Table 1.0 is only a general guide. All babies differ in health and physical aspects so Clothing layers may vary.
Parents should determine that what is suitable for their baby’s comfort. Parents should check their baby’s Clothing and sleeping bag regularly. Also, ensure that baby is comfortable and not overheated because of sleep bag TOG.
What TOG a Sleeping Bag or Clothing Should be?
When your baby is old and heavy enough in weight. A baby sleeping bag can be used then parents should be aware of TOG ratings which are already mentioned in Table 1.0. Commercial Baby Sleeping bags have the following TOG ratings in common.
According to Table 1.0 and 2.0 one should be aware now that if 2.5 TOG warm sleeping bag is enough for a baby or not. TOG is associate with room temperature. So any age baby can use 2.5 TOG. But the size of the baby sleeping bag will be different according to age and physical factors. As 2.5 TOG warm can be used at room temperature of 16°c to 25°c. It indicates that it cannot be used in winter. When temperature can go below 16°c. Also, this baby sleeping bag cannot be used in summer as well when the temperature goes up.
What a baby can wear using a sleeping bag according to TOG ratings?
· In summer when the room temperature is warm like 26°c. The baby should be in a 0.5 TOG sleeping bag or cloth, wearing a short-sleeved bodysuit along with a diaper if needed.
· If the room temperature is 24°c or a little above. The baby should be in a sleeping bag of 1.0 TOG rating, wearing a short-sleeved bodysuit.
· If the room temperature is 22°c then the baby should be in a 1.0 TOG rating sleeping bag, wearing a long-sleeved bodysuit.
· If the room temperature is 20°c then the baby should be in a 2.5 TOG rating sleeping bag, wearing a long-sleeved bodysuit.
· If the room temperature is 18°c to 26°c. The baby should be in a 2.5 TOG rating sleeping bag, wearing a long-sleeved bodysuit and pajama top or set.
Which TOG rating Sleeping bags should be used for babies in winter?
Baby’s bedding is more important than elders. It’s hard for a baby to regulate its body temperature during winter nights. Baby’s sleeping bag is necessary with a proper long-sleeved bodysuit and pajamas set on it.
In most year-round in UK 2.5 TOG warm sleeping bag is enough. With the proper layering of clothes around the baby at room temperature of 16°c to 25°c.But on colder night 3.5 TOG sleeping bag is more appropriate under and below 16°c.
Why sleeping bags are more important than sheets and blankets on winter nights?
Proper bedding is necessary for babies in winter. Like sleeping bags as they keep covered the whole night. While sheets and blankets can be kicked off easily. That’s why sleeping bags have replaced those.
Baby sleeping bags not only keep babies cozy on winter nights but also provides comfort to them.